I made a promise to myself this year to curtail my yearning for the “always perfect” little black ensemble of clothing for something more bright, colorful and exciting. I’d be lying to you if I said that my resolution has been anything less than stellar, BUT I am trying nonetheless and getting comfortable with expressing myself through hue’s. It’s interesting to think that when it comes to my decor, the lighter the furniture & accessories the better; brightness has been a dear friend. But in fashion – I’ve digressed and hung on to what I felt was a classic. There will always be staple black pieces in my repertoire BUT it’s time to shake things up a bit.
Can the color you wear really affect your mood? Research says yes; color can absolutely affect your mood, behavior and stress levels. Color specialist Leatrice Eiseman says how colors affect us directly relates to that colors behaviour in nature. The pallet I am feeling this season are soft in appearance yet feel very strong at the same time. Ethereal, yet with a splash of confidence … not too dreamy nor to rigid. In thinking more about the reinvention of my “lighter” side I also pull amazing inspiration from one of my favorite books on interiors (which I refer to often for that spark)HUE by adored designer; Kelly Wearstler. Thumbing through it always sends me spinning with creative ideas.
So this season it’s a merging of two things; my new found love of color and the beloved glorious ocean, to bring you some of my top essentials in fashion, accessories, play time and beauty … naturally!
1) To me a French Market Tote is simply a must have! I use it for the beach, shopping, a day the park, when traveling … you name it. Made from straw and unbelievably durable, reasons to love this bag are endless.
2) Vitamins are a part of my wellness/beauty routine and clean food, nutroceuticals & homeopathy remedies are my go to sources for all the essentials my body needs. This Beauty Essentials Kit combines key ingredients to boost the immune system, support capillary nutrition for the skin, encourages cell growth for healthier & stronger hair/nails + so much more. When we travel it’s so important that we keep up with a restorative, healthy routine and with this little kit … no worries TSA approved sizes make them easy to hit the friendly skies with while on Holiday!
3) Ok, let’s admit it. Even when enjoying a day by the sea, our phones, Kindles & Ipad’s stay within arms reach right?! This cool Beach Set includes two zippered cases to keep your devices sand free and the water-resistant material allows you to use your touch screen when it’s inside the case. Brilliant! However not to try while paddle boarding!
4) When you don’t have a chic fan to pop to keep you cool in/out of the sun, this Rescue+Relief spray will do the trick! A blend of Water Lilly, Cucumber and Chamomile (just to name a few) will have your precious skin cooling down and feeling nourished from the moment you spritz. And in the event you get too much sun, naughty naughty, this comes to the rescue just as its namesake says.
5) Yes, there are loads of sexy & colorful bathing suits out this season and yes there is a certain Missoni that has me drooling a bit BUT a simple, classic black string should never be underestimated! EVER! This design from Faherty is made from eco-friendly fabric, primarily of recycled polyester from plastic bottles blended with Lycra® for an impeccable fit and luxurious feel! PERFECTION! Eco-savvy and hot … sign me up! Faherty has perfected the fit to have just the right amount of coverage for catching waves around the world without losing your suit. Wait a tick, was this bathing suit created just for me???
6 & 14) When it comes to taking a day in the park or a weekend at the shore into your own hands – have proper equipment, will travel … I say. Gallant & Jones line of outdoor furniture and accessories are simply delicious. From their deck chairs bursting with vibrant colored textiles to organic bamboo beach towels – once you visit their site you’ll be amazed at all the design goodness these beautiful ladies have created under one roof.
#7) “There’s just something special about a woman in a hat.” ~Betmar Philosophy Hear Hear! From a c. 1825 studio in Charleston, SC milliner Leigh Magar creates unique, one-of-a-kind hats by hand using hand dyed and vintage materials. Cannot wait to attend a future tea party at Magar Hatworks during my next trip to visit my dear, and always fabulous,Cator Sparks and see first-hand Leigh’s creations in the making.
#8) Pure, organic Argan Oil will always have its place within my beauty routine. I carry the 1 oz size with me when I travel so not to leave it behind. Packed with Vit E and other antioxidants – it’s a perfect beauty compliment for a day in the sun. I apply it prior to sunscreen application as an added layer of protection from environmentals and free radical damage but also use it as a leave in hair serum to protect my scalp and hair cells from sun damage as well.
#9) The name “Orange Fizz” makes me smile – let alone the overall look of these Warby Parker optical gems! They’re smart, playful and the color pallet does make perfect for any sun-filled adventure. As always, WP donates a pair of glasses to a child in need with every purchase. Lovely indeed.
#10) Stay hydrated! Nau’s Klean Kanteen is the water bottle reinvented. I’m a huge advocate of no plastics (except when it keeps my technical devices free of sand and water) and glass just simply isn’t always a convenient choice either, especially when traveling. Constructed from a single piece of stainless steel for durability, stainless steel ring adds an easy attachment point, while a non-toxic, food-grade silicone creates a durable seal. Sustainably harvested bamboo cap is laser-etched for a complete finish. Keeps drinks ice cold on a hot day in the sand.
#11) In love with RGB Cosmetics 2013 line of nail color. Their new Pool seemed so fitting for my beach essentials list and cannot wait to give it a-go myself. RGB’s entire line is 5 free: No Formaldehyde, No Toluene, No DBP, No Formaldehyde Resin, No Camphor and made in the USA & cruelty free!
#12) Known as “cosmetics for your feet” it’s no wonder that TKEES have been my most favorite brand of flips for years. Their Minty (see above) from the Lip-Gloss collection has me envisioning all kinds of summer fun. TKEES sandals literally disappear on your feet – as if you are walking barefoot yet with so much comfort and they wear perfect for years. They are stylish, sexy and a perfect addition to any summer dress.
#13) Bright, bold and bohemian says it all. I first heard of The Glossy Queen via an introduction on G&J’s blog (Handmade & Hot). Jennifer’s line of jewelry spoke of femininity with the colors and curves yet I sensed a bit of tribal influence coming through the designs as well, stemming from the stackable bracelets and shape of the necklaces (seen above) … similar to that of the Maasai of Kenya, Africa. I was able to experience Jennifer’s work first-hand when I recently purchased a necklace and her artisan craftsmanship is superb. Simply ah-mazing!
#15) A bathing suit cover up can be one of the best accessories when laying it down resort style. From a sarong to a caftan, skies the limit as to how bold and sexy you wish to take it … and I mix it up quite frequently. However, another staple in my collection is the simple White Cotton Men’s button down -they are super sexy on men and over a bikini with a fresh hat and pair of flips and a tan to go along with, the masses won’t be able to take their eyes off of you. Or hands for that matter – let’s hope!
#16) Get up out of that comfy G&J deck chair, it’s play time! Years ago my family started a tradition of playing BOCCE while vacationing at the beach. It started with my parents, aunt’s and uncles and eventually became a past time of our entire clan and still is to the day. This cool set makes playing outdoors in the sun ever the more fun; handcrafted from wood they come with a cloth carry bag for easy transport to and from the shore. Game on!
#17) Personal items, products, the important things in life need their own stylish bag to hideaway in your French Market Tote. I’m crazy for this Lemon Zest wristlet by Heather Belle Co. Constructed from synthetic Python, hand-casted & hand-painted, this little stylish vegan number will be ready to hit the town or local taqueria with you after you work on that glistening tan of yours.
#18) Know me well? Then one thing you know for sure is that I don’t leave home without beauty products, of course, and music. Music is a huge part of my life and has been since as far back as I can remember. So it goes without no surprise that while on the beach there will be a beat in the background. This compact and innovative audio speaker from the cool team atWooLoot plugs right into your smartphone, Ipad or MP3 player. And it provides great sound even over the roaring surf.
#19) Yes, I do apply a little kiss of makeup before hitting the beach. One must keep it sexy always and you never know your plans after so being prepared is essential. A piece of makeup you will always find in my bag is lip color. Sometimes a lip tint, swoop of mascara and a dash of bronzer is all a girl needs to put pep in her step. And if this brand of makeup doesn’t fit the bill, then what will pray tell? Kjaer Weis is truly a leader in the evolution of the conventional world of makeup as they are setting a standard like no other with their luxury designed packaging which is home to a completely safe, non-toxic, high-performance line of cosmetics. Named the perfect summer lip tint; Sweetness is great for pale to dark skin and the ideal compliment to a summer tan. With its subtle lemon scent KW line of tint’s leaves lips with a moist, healthy finish. Sweetness will have you saying yum while others say wow … or maybe the other way around. wink wink
#20) Saved one of the best beach/summer essentials for last. It’s a “don’t leave home without” necessity and one that protects your skin and your health from damaging UV rays. Plant UV is a revolutionary approach to sun care where actual plant stem cells along with other safe ingredients blend together to create the optimal line of sun protection for face and body.
So there you have it my lovelies! A one-stop-shop resource for all things that keep your time in the sun, fun.
Happy Summer Solstice!
~Organic Contessa xo